Our History

The Sisters of the Resurrection, a religious order founded in Rome by Blessed Celine Borzecka and her daughter Mother Hedwig Borzecka in 1891, began its educational ministry in the United States in 1900. Sister Anne Strzelecka, C.R. opened Resurrection College Prep High School in 1922. Central to the Sisters’ mission is the transformation of society by uplifting women through education.


School Timeline


1891 - the Congregation of the Sisters of the Resurrection is founded in Rome by widow Celine Borzecka and her daughter Hedwig.

1900 - the Sisters of the Resurrection began their ministry in the United States when four Sisters came to Chicago and immediately began teaching at St. Mary of the Angels Parish. They soon opened many other schools around Chicago and in several states.

1912 - Sister Anne Strzelecka, C.R. purchased over 42 acres of land in northwest Chicago on Old Tanner Road, now Talcott Avenue.

1914 - a convent and school were built, and the following year Sister Anne opened Resurrection Academy, an elementary school for boys and girls and a boarding school for girls. Boys attendance was discontinued in 1922 when the high school was opened. Resurrection Academy continued as an all-girls elementary school until 1961.

1920 - Sister Anne bought the 52-acre Anderson onion farm and skating pond where Resurrection Medical Center now stands.

1922 - Resurrection High School opened in what is now the Sisters’ Provincial Home. Four years later, the first graduating class consisted of four young women, one of whom went on to become a successful attorney, as well as a mother and grandmother of future Resurrection graduates.

1926 - a wing was added to the original Academy building for the high school department and the high school expanded. In 1929 a larger L-shaped addition was added to the Academy building.

1947 to 1961 - after World War II the population on Chicago’s far northwest side increased rapidly, causing a dramatic increase in enrollment. In 1954, to help further relieve some of the capacity issues, the boarding program ended and plans to build a gymnasium began in 1955. In determining the location of the gymnasium, the decision to build an entirely new high school facility on the corner of Talcott and Oriole avenues was proposed and accepted. In 1961 the elementary department was phased out, since by that time there were sufficient parish schools in the area to accommodate the children.

1962 - a new, much larger school building opened at 7500 West Talcott Avenue. The curriculum continued to expand over the following decades as Resurrection began moving towards the strong college-preparatory curriculum that it provides today.


1970s -1990s -  the early high school provided two educational tracks: a two-year commercial program and a general four-year program. In the 1950s and 60s, the school offered 3 four-year tracks: college prep, business, and home and commercial economics. By the 1970s and 80s, all students were preparing for college and in the 1990s, the Practicum Program was added to provide students exposure to a variety of career experiences.

1997 - an $11-million construction program added two state-of-the-art science labs, two computer labs, a technology center with Internet capabilities, a 36-station fitness center, as well as air conditioning throughout the facility. Administrative space, which was scattered throughout the building, was centralized in an expanded administrative center, freeing up space for other educational uses such as a writing center and a student services center.

2008 - the Little Theatre underwent a $2-million renovation. The 500 seat auditorium, built in 1964, is the school’s central venue for the performing arts.


2008/09 - The daily schedule was re-evaluated and changed to a modified A/B block schedule. Classes meet every other day for an extended period of time.

2009 - the school library was transformed into a library/ media center and the school bookstore, the Fine Arts wing and the Social Room, next to the chapel, were also updated.

2011/12 – Resurrection College Prep High School celebrated 90 years of educating young women as the largest all-girls Catholic, Christian college preparatory high school on the north side of Chicago.

2015/2016 - completion of projects that continue to enhance academics at Resurrection, including the new Innovation Lab, a makerspace where students can experiment and work on projects under the direction of designated faculty, and the Think Tank, where students can find tutors ready to assist them in a variety of subjects.  Also completed renovations of the parking lot and new internal roadways and work on a new athletic track are underway. The college prep program continues to expand and now includes opportunities to explore engineering, robotics and STREAM (science, technology, religion, engineering, art and math).


Today -  Resurrection incorporates cutting-edge academic programs and activities that prepare young women for success in college, career and life.  Since its founding in 1922, Resurrection has graduated nearly 14,000 alumnae and Resurrection continues to shape young women to reach their full potential and to become leaders of charity and truth who make a difference in society.