March 22, 2023
Dear Senior Parents/Guardians,
What a wonderful season! Though we will miss her at Resurrection College Prep and the moment is bittersweet, we are excited to send your daughter into the world for the next phase of her life. Several common questions and concerns arise this time of the year that hopefully this letter will address.
BACCALAUREATE MASS AND COMMENCEMENT | Thursday, May 18th
2023 Resurrection College Prep Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony Procedures & Etiquette
The Class of 2023 is the 98th graduation class of Resurrection College Prep High School. All guests must have a ticket, including children/infants. As mentioned above, each senior will receive (6) tickets for the Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony.
Event: Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement
When: May 18, 2023
Time: 7:00 p.m. (check-in at 6:15 p.m. for guests and graduates)
Place: Holy Name Cathedral, 730 N. Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
Graduates MUST BE at the Holy Name Parish Center no later than 6:15 p.m. to check-in. Graduates should plan to leave all valuables/belongings with a parent/guardian. The Parish Center doors will be locked once the event starts and will remain locked.
ATTIRE FOR GRADUATES
- Cap and Gown
- White dress or light colored dress or white dress slacks and blouse
- Appropriate dress shoes (no gym shoes, boots, or flip flops)
GUEST INFORMATION FOR BACCALAUREATE MASS AND COMMENCEMENT
- Doors to Holy Name Cathedral will open for guests starting at 6:15 p.m. Guests will not be able to enter before 6:15 p.m.
- Everyone will need to present a ticket at the Main Entrance (State Street) of the Cathedral to be admitted. The handicap entrance is located on Superior St. side of the Cathedral.
- Download a copy of the seating chart.
- There will be a Will Call table at the Cathedral entrance, should you need to leave tickets there for any late arrivals. If anyone in your party arrives after 7:00 p.m., they will need to sit in the back of the church so as not to disrupt the Mass or commencement ceremony. Please plan ahead so your party can arrive ON TIME.
- Please do you research in advance and shop for area parking garages or lots. Park Whiz, SpotHero and other phone apps may be helpful.
- Please note that balloons, flowers and other objects (i.e. food/drinks) ARE NOT allowed inside.
- Our formal ceremony is in keeping with our academic tradition. While families may choose to celebrate the occasion afterward in an informal way, during the Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony itself, RESPECTFUL FORMAL BEHAVIOR IS EXPECTED. PLEASE HONOR THIS REQUEST.
- During the presentation and conferring of the diplomas, polite applause is appropriate after each graduate's name is read.
- Guests will remain seated throughout the program and until all graduated have processed out of the Cathedral.
- All cell phones or audio devices are to be silenced before you enter the Cathedral.
- A videographer will be present to tape the entire ceremony, and then, we will have it available on our YouTube channel after the commencement ceremony. The ceremony will not be live streamed.
- Guests are not permitted to get up/move around the church for pictures during the ceremony.
- This year, the City of Chicago did not approve our request to block off the street in front of Holy Name Cathedral after Commencement. The traditional graduate cap toss will, now, happen in the courtyard at Holy Name. Graduates will immediately process to the courtyard after the ceremony and then be dismissed from the courtyard to meet their families. When you exit Holy Name Cathedral, please be mindful and stay on the sidewalks.
- The Cathedral will remain open for 15 minutes after the Commencement Ceremony for photos. Please help clear the lobby and entrances, by moving away from the building once you are outside. Please be patient as you leave…. Safety first!
Attendance is vital to a student’s education. Colleges look at a student’s attendance record, as well as her academic record. Only illness should keep a student from attending classes. Let’s keep our young women in school until the last day.
SENIOR DITCH DAY
Resurrection College Prep does not recognize senior ditch day. Students who choose to ditch forfeit the opportunity to receive credit for classwork or missed tests. Assignments dropped off on behalf of the absent student will not be accepted.
For those seniors that did not attend a Kairos retreat, the one-day senior retreat is required on Wednesday, April 19th at Resurrection. The retreat will take place during the school day (8:20 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.). A pizza lunch will be provided. A schedule and other details will be emailed to students and parents the week prior to the retreat.
SEMESTER PROGRESS REPORTS/REPORT CARDS
Your daughter’s academic progress throughout the semester is on PowerSchool. Final report cards will be mailed home the second week of June. More and more colleges accept a student with the contingency that the student’s eighth (8th) semester grades remain consistent with other semester grades, so it is important for your daughter to remain focused. If your daughter’s weekly academic progress in a class falls below a C, she is in danger of not passing a class. We will put additional academic interventions in place for her if this happens.
FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS & COURSE AND CREDIT COMPLETION
Please be reminded that all accounts are to be paid in full by Friday, April 28, 2023.
Seniors with outstanding balances at the end of the year will not be permitted to participate in any of the senior activities taking place in May. These include the Senior Prom, Honors Convocation, Final Exams, and the Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony. Please make arrangements now (email@example.com) to ensure that all financial obligations have been taken care of by this date.
Only seniors who have successfully completed the required courses and credits will be permitted to participate in the Honors Convocation and the Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony.
In April, seniors will be given a form to sign for the Records Office indicating where they want the final transcript sent. Colleges and universities need verification that the student has, in fact, graduated.
AP REVIEW DAY AND EXAMS
We are offering an AP review day on Friday, April 21, 2023. This is an optional day for attendance for juniors and seniors because freshmen and sophomores will be testing. The AP teachers are creating a schedule for their AP classes for optional review sessions. We highly encourage students in AP classes to attend these review sessions.
May 1: AP U.S. Government Exam from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
May 1: AP Chemistry Exam from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
May 2: AP Environmental Science Exam from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
May 2: AP Psychology Exam from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
May 3: AP English Literature and Composition Exam from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
May 4: AP Statistics Exam and AP Seminar from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
May 5: AP U.S. History Exam from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
May 8: AP Calculus AB and BC from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
May 8: AP Computer Science Exam from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
May 9: AP English Language and Composition Exam from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
May 10: AP Spanish Exam from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
May 10: AP Biology Exam from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
May 11: AP World History Exam from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
SENIOR FINAL EXAMS | Monday, May 15th and Tuesday, May 16th
Senior final exams will take place on May 15, 2023 (Periods 1, 2, 3 and 4) and May 16, 2023 (Periods 5, 6 and 7). The senior exam guidelines regarding possible exemptions have been posted on Schoology and emailed to the seniors as well.
CAP AND GOWN PICK-UP | Tuesday, March 21st
Caps and Gowns will be available for pick-up from the Jostens representative during lunch periods on Tuesday, March 21, 2023. Note, financial balances must be current to receive cap and gown.
Please note: Due to the folds of the packaged gowns, please be sure that they are presentable before the Honors Convocation and Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony. We recommend steaming the gowns, not ironing them.
Event: Senior Prom
When: Friday, May 5, 2023
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Place: Hilton Rosemont/ Chicago O’Hare
5550 North River Road
Rosemont, Illinois 60018
Please note: There will be no school for seniors on this day.
Cost of prom is $240 per couple or $180 for a single student. The final payment was due on March 2nd.
Please be reminded that this is a high school prom. RES students and guests are expected to dress appropriately and modestly. Please cover any tattoos or body piercings. Guests need to follow similar dress guidelines and wear formal attire. Dress shoes are to be worn. Shoes must be worn at all times. If a student anticipates having to remove uncomfortable shoes, they must bring another pair to wear. Inappropriate attire will be addressed, and a student may be required to leave the prom if they are dressed inappropriately. Students may not bring guests who are older than 20 years of age. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
SENIOR SUNRISE, SENIOR BREAKFAST, & DISTRIBUTION OF COMMENCEMENT TICKETS | Friday, May 12th
Senior Sunrise and Senior Breakfast will take place on Friday, May 12, 2023. Seniors are invited to arrive in the early morning and gather on the field to watch the sunrise as a class and celebrate the end of high school together. Students are encouraged to bring a blanket and a warm beverage for the sunrise. Senior Sunrise will be immediately followed by Senior Breakfast in the cafe where the Class of 2023 will be treated to a breakfast buffet. The time of the sunrise will be announced closer to May 12th.
At breakfast, each senior will receive six (6) tickets for the Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony. Although we cannot offer more tickets to each student, if someone does not need all of her tickets, she is free to give them to someone who may need more tickets.
HONORS CONVOCATION | Wednesday, May 17th
Honors Convocation will be held at 8:30 in the morning on Wednesday, May 17, 2023 in the gymnasium. A breakfast will precede the ceremony at 7:45 a.m. in the library. All parents are invited. All seniors are required to attend this event and bring their cap and gown. Seniors will participate in an all-school Honors Convocation to recognize the academic and athletic achievements, as well as dedication to service and leadership of the Class of 2023. RSVP using the following link: https://forms.gle/1gz3j3G2WsQcPzjo9.
COMMENCEMENT PRACTICE | Wednesday, May 17th
On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 9:45 a.m., there will be Commencement practice in the Gym. This will follow the Honors Convocation.
SENIOR BBQ | Wednesday, May 17th
The senior BBQ will be held on Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 10:45 a.m. The school provides an outdoor (weather permitting), picnic style lunch only for our seniors. The administration and Men’s Club run the BBQ. The seniors will be able to change into comfortable clothes after the Honors Convocation. Seniors will be dismissed at the conclusion of the BBQ.
We look forward to celebrating your daughter’s accomplishments with you!
In De La Salle,
Dr. Richard Piwowarski, President Ms. Colleen Brewer, Principal
Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony Announcement
Dear Seniors and Senior families!
I am grateful to those who participated in our Graduation venue preference survey. Over 80% of respondents expressed a preference for Holy Name Cathedral. I am pleased to announce that we have secured Holy Name Cathedral for our Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Ceremony, which will be held on May 18th, 2023, starting at 7:00 p.m.
More details surrounding the ceremony and other senior events including Honors Convocation, practice, and Senior BBQ will be communicated in time. Please feel free to contact my office if you have any questions.
In De La Salle,
Dr. Rick Piwowarski
Senior Prom Announcement
Dear RES Senior Parents,
We are looking forward to this year's Senior Prom for the Class of 2023! Senior Prom will be held Friday, May 5, 2023 at:
Hilton Rosemont/Chicago O'Hare
5550 North River Road
Rosemont, IL 60018
The total cost of the prom bid will be $240. This pays for your Resurrection senior and a guest. Guests must not be older than 20 years of age. If your senior chooses not to bring a guest, the bid price will be $180. The cost covers the hall, a sit-down dinner, security, favors, decorations, a DJ, and a photo booth. The cost may be split into three (3) payments or paid all at once.
The payments schedule is as follows:
- Friday, January 13, 2023 - $80 (mandatory)
- Friday, February 3, 2023 - $80 ($50 if the student is not brining a guest)
- Thursday, March 2, 2023 - $80 ($50 if the student is not bringing a guest)
The first payment on Friday, January 13, 2023 is mandatory for everyone attending prom. Payments should be made via cash or checks made payable to Resurrection College Prep and turned into the Main Office.
Students whose tuition accounts are delinquent will not be allowed to make prom payments or attend prom until their tuition payments are caught up.
Friday, May 5, 2023 will be a day off school for seniors. Further details regarding prom, including expectations and a prom agreement, will follow in coming months.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Ms. Briana O'Donnell
Senior Class Moderator